Monday, May 14, 2007

Ed Lawerence is My New Hero

We've been spending a lot of time outdoors these days, getting ready for a busy summer of gardening, gallery running, and (hopefully for us adults) playing. The swing set went up about a week ago. Thanks to Steve (Quinn's future father-in-law)who happened by for helping us get it together. Here Leah is running up so as not to miss the photo-op.
By the way, I love photos that show the photographer in the photo. Not professional by any means, and I try not to include myself, but I do get a kick out of them.
We are also getting the gardens ready. This is a new little garden outside the store. It's kind of a garbage garden, as it features a big iron (wheel?) thingie we found, and also a wheel rim that we dug up from beside the barn. I figure it's easier to add that stuff to the garden rather than trucking it off to the dump. I put a little iron pot on the rim to get a bit of height. Now we just need some plants to go in it...I rototillified the veggie garden. It's big. It took a lot of rototillerfying. Did I mention how big it was? Let me tell you, big. So far we've collected some rhubarb with which Rose made an excellent crumble for Mother's day dessert. Even Quinn said it was "Kind not bad/kinda good." Here's another view where you can see the big rhubarb patch. Hard to see, but off to the right is a row of new tomatoes. We also plan to grow carrots, potatoes, lots of lettuce, and a few other eatables.Hey you! Stop running through my dirt! (we'll get some veggies in there soon...)
PS: I'm in that one too...
Speaking of intruders in the garden, a very short time after I shut off the rototiller and made my way indoors dreaming of giant salads grown a few feet from my door, Quinn looks out the window and spots this!
I mean for the love of Pete, I haven't even got the seeds in the ground and this little bugger is rummaging around. Luckily he was on the other side of the house, nosing in the neighbors garden, but I suspect he'll wander over with his buddies soon enough. Which brings me to this photo: Someone broke the cat! After a hard day of terrorizing the neighborhood fauna, (Our little mouse/bird/frog graveyard is filling up fast) the cat takes a power nap on the couch. He looks about the same way I feel after all the yard work. By the way, there really is no way to rotate this photo to make it look normal.


No comments: